A 19-year-old Goleta man was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly setting off fireworks that sparked a vegetation fire along Farren Road on the western edge of Goleta.
The blaze burned about 1 acre and prompted evacuation warnings for the nearby neighborhood.
Alex Karim Henin was booked into the Santa Barbara Main Jail on suspicion of arson, according to Raquel Zick, public information officer for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Office.
Arrest logs show Henin was booked on suspicion of arson and possession of fireworks without a permit.
After speaking to a witness, deputies detained a vehicle seen leaving the scene of the fire and found “a package containing three illegal fireworks, along with evidence indicating that additional fireworks had previously been removed from the packaging,” Zick said.
Juveniles present at the scene were also released to their parents, Zick said.

Emergency crews first responded to the 900 block of Farren Road at around 8:25 p.m. for a report of a roughly 1/2-acre vegetation fire.
Officials later said the blaze blackened about 1 acre, and mop-up was continuing late Tuesday night.
The Sheriff’s Office ordered Farren Road closed at Vereda Del Padre, and an evacuation warning was issued for the Rancho Embarcadero neighborhood below and to the east of Farren Road.
The warning was lifted around 9:30 p.m.

Shortly after 9 p.m., firefighters had gotten a containment line around the fire, according to emergency radio traffic.
A Noozhawk photographer on the scene also confirmed crews were mopping up at around 9:25 p.m.
Zick urged residents to avoid using illegal fireworks.
“The Sheriff’s Office reminds the public that illegal fireworks pose a serious danger, particularly during dry conditions and in areas with vegetation that can ignite rapidly. Even a single firework can spark a fast-moving vegetation fire, placing lives, homes, and first responders at risk,” she said.
Noozhawk photographer Peter Hartmann contributed reporting from the scene.


